Sharing some of a past teaching with a little extra:
Series Title: “Faith Like a Child”
Part 5: “Seeds of Substance”
A. Faith is the substance….
[Heb 11:1 KJV] 1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
[Heb 11:1 AMP]
11 Now faith is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].
1. Faith is more than belief. Belief is a conscious decision of the mind to let something into our heart, but faith comes from God. Faith is not simply a belief system; faith is a supernatural system God has set in place that involves Him planting seeds into the hearts of people who allow Him to, and those seeds have the power to produce from the unseen realm of our heart into the natural realm in which we live.
2. Faith is the substance…Faith IS the substance of a promise you are believing for…it is a seed of the actual promise itself. For instance a seed of healing in your body.
a. Substance defined in dictionary: the real physical matter of which a person or thing consists and which has a tangible, solid presence.
2. Faith is not an abstract belief. It is a concrete, real existence of something from God. It is an unseen seed that gets planted in our hearts when we believe God for something He has spoken to us through His Word. When we believe, we give permission for that seed to get planted in our hearts and to grow.
3. Like DNA in our natural body, faith is a supernatural DNA or deed that guarantees something from God’s word (the bible) will come to pass in our lives. You may not be able to see your DNA, but it is written code that though unseen produces everything seen in your body (brown eyes, blonde hair, etc.)
4. If we were to compare it to a natural seed we plant in the ground, it’s no different than if you were a farmer and you were hoping for tomatoes and then planted some tomato seeds. Faith is the actual seed itself, like a tomato seed, that when it gets planted in the unseen womb of your heart, it grows. The only difference between a seed of faith and a natural seed on the earth is that we cannot see a seed of faith with our natural eyes.
5. Just as we plant seeds in the ground on earth to make things grow, God’s spoken word (from his heart into ours) is seed He plants into our hearts that is meant to grow and produce an expected result.
6. Meditating on the word and confessing the word prepares the soil of our hearts and fertilizes it so that we are ready to receive and produce what God desires to plant in us.
7. We are called to speak the word and agree with what God’s word says on a daily basis as God tells us to “meditate on his word day and night” and promises that this will lead us to have good success in our life. Yet, it is important to recognize faith itself is not reading or confessing a scripture 100 times. It is an awesome thing to really help wash away lies in your heart and limitations that may be acting like weeds in your heart, but faith itself is generated from God and not from man. God and man work the soil of the heart together. God plants His seeds and man tends to them and to the weeds around them in his heart so those seeds grow without limitation.
8. Faith, however is the substance…the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not yet seen. (Heb 11:1) Faith is the substance (the seed itself) that God speaks into our hearts that has power to grow and produce that which He promised.
Example: A woman is told by the doctor she has cancer. She believes God is her healer and therefore begins to meditate on all the promises of healing on a daily basis. Only God sees what is in a man’s heart…perhaps those words that have been spoken from the doctor or friends and family are still lingering in her heart also as seeds…really acting more like weeds. Every time she speaks the words and clings to the word, she is washing her heart. She is washing the soil, removing all the weeds and lies that are coming against the promise of healing she reads of in the word. Then one day, when on the outside everything may look the same, she gets this KNOWING that she is healed. She knows that she knows that she knows she is healed! This is evidence that it was no longer her mind speaking, “I am healed,” but instead she heard from God on the inside of her heart, “by my stripes you are healed” and it became rhema (alive) in her and that seed became SETTLED in the soil of her heart.
Just like when a woman knows she is pregnant and senses that baby growing inside of her, someone one has received a word from God and is walking by faith KNOWS there is a baby growing inside of them. No one else may be able to see that baby yet, but she knows that baby of healing is growing in her.
Side note for a few minutes and then back into “seeds of substance”:
In this process of receiving a promise fully manifested in our life, we must never let the lie of the enemy touch our heart that says, “God is withholding from us,” “God is mad at me,” “Maybe God wants me to go through this to teach me something,” “I’m not worthy”…NOT at all!! None of these statements are true! We know God withholds NO good thing from those in Christ and whose walk is blameless in His sight because of Christ (Psalm 84:11). We are saved by grace through faith and this is not of ourselves (Eph 2:8) so it is definitely not a works thing like we reach some place where all of a sudden we have convinced God to heal us. No, no no! God is always sending His word to us on a daily basis and He desires we be healed more than we desire this for ourselves. He sent His son and in fact ALREADY healed us in the supernatural realm (by His stripes we ARE healed – Isaiah 53:5)…in other words, the promise of healing already belongs to us based on Christ alone and God already sees us healed. Whatever healing we have need of in our body on this earth, He has already prepared it in advance for us before we were even born or knew we would ever have need for it.
The truth is, God is showering our hearts with His seed every time we hear the Word (Romans 10:17). Jesus, our high priest is in CONSTANT intercession for us (Heb 7:25). God is love (1 John 4:8, 16). Instead, it is sometimes simply a process that is going on in our hearts of removing junk that gets in the way and acts like rocks and weeds in the soil of our hearts so that we are able to fully receive His supernatural seed and carry it all the way to fruition and not “miscarry” that baby growing in us.
Think of the natural picture of a man and woman coming together. There are THOUSANDS of sperm (seed) in one DROP of semen. Yet, often times, in the process of a husband and wife coming together wanting to get pregnant, it takes time for even ONE of those THOUSANDS of seeds to get into the womb and make a baby!!
There’s no condemnation to any of us in Christ during this process of receiving our healing, or any other kind of provision. None of us have “arrived” in this process of receiving fully from God at all times, except for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and that is why we continually look to Him and to the gift of His Holy Spirit living in us to help us to receive. We are co-heirs with Christ (Rom 8:17) so everything that belongs to Jesus also belongs to us.
There are times when the manifestation of a promise is quick in our lives and other times when it takes more time. We should never look to ourselves at fault or wonder why something is taking so long, but instead keep our eyes on our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ at all times and simply give Him praise and thanks for all He has done for us and continues to do as He sits at the right hand of The Father praying for us every day. When we put our eyes on ourselves or the problem, it produces wrong thoughts and images in our hearts and weeds start to grow…but when we keep our eyes on Christ, all we see is life and goodness and we are reminded of His blood that has been shed on our behalf and made us perfect and that the promise IS ours because of Him, no matter what things look like in the natural.
Be encouraged to know that God’s word NEVER turns up void…it always accomplishes the purpose for which He has sent it, to give us life and life more abundantly. Luke 1:37 says, “No word from God will ever fail.”
There are some who have received their promises in heaven rather than seeing the full manifestation here on earth, but that doesn’t mean God’s word isn’t true, that healing isn’t for us now, that God only heals some people and not others, that God “needed” that person in heaven, or any other lies of the enemy and religion that people have believed. God is a good God all the time and He is a life-giver, merciful, gracious, kind, compassionate and loving at ALL times. John 10:10 tells us that Jesus came to give us LIFE and life to the full and that it is the thief who comes to steal, kill and destroy.
There are MANY who HAVE received the full manifestation of God’s promises of healing on this earth and still are…with freedom from addictions, restoration, life, regrown limbs, able to walk out of a wheel chair, healed from terminal illness…all kinds of testimonies that are still being given today.
The good news is that eternity is a LONG time…that’s good news at least to those who have received Jesus Christ as their Lord and savior. This is good news because life on the earth is only 120 even years for those who receive the fullness of that promise, but even for those who don’t, we will all receive eternal life forever after this earth! Even for those who have left the earth sooner than 120 years, and maybe through sickness or tragedy, they have received life and life to the full and are enjoying it right now!
However, God does desire us to receive while we are here on the earth, and once we are born-again, eternal life begins NOW and continues on forevermore. All the promises in the Word are yes and Amen to us (2 Cor 1:20) right now, so our Father in Heaven certainly desires we receive here on this earth as well so that we can live healthy, wealthy, joyful and peaceful as He intended for us from the beginning. His desire is that we live a good life here in Him AND in heaven after our life here on the earth. It can encourage our hearts though to know that in Christ, we ALL receive!
Getting back on track with “seeds of substance” and talking about faith…
B. Faith begins with hope
1. If we have no hope, then we have no faith.
2. Faith is the substance of things hoped for…therefore if we are not hoping for anything, then there can be no substance or faith until hope exists.
[1Pe 1:3 NIV] 3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
[Heb 6:19-20 KJV] 19 Which [hope] we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; 20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, [even] Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
3. Jesus is our living hope. Our faith for salvation for our souls begins with our hope in Jesus and as we believe upon Him, He is our title deed and right to salvation, because the word teaches us so. The Holy Spirit is our deposit and guarantee of salvation.
[Eph 1:13-14 NIV] 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession–to the praise of his glory.
4. Step 1 in faith is hope in Christ (the word).
a. If you don’t have anything specifically you are hoping for, start by opening yourself up to hope Himself, Jesus.
b. Jesus Himself (the word) as you commit yourself to him and time with him, will reveal the plans and desires of The Father for your life by His Holy Spirit and fill your heart with hope.
[Jer 29:11 KJV] 11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
5. God’s thoughts and the end result are connected; our thoughts and the end result are connected.
6. God sees the end from the beginning. His promises speak the end result to us and by calling upon the grace and finished work of Christ, we are called to set our minds on the end result with God to see it come to pass without delay.
7. God only sees the finished work. He sees us finished. He sees us full of hope. He sees us pleasing to Him. We are called to see ourselves as God sees us, not based on what we see when we look in the mirror, or at our past, but agreeing with what His word says about us as new creations in Christ, and as co-heirs with Christ, even if at first we don’t feel like that’s true based on our history or something we see or have done.
8. We must take thoughts that are contrary, thoughts of doubt and unbelief, thoughts of lack, thoughts of the past, all thoughts that are not of God, CAPTIVE and call them down as null and void, powerless, not letting them take root in our hearts. If they are already rooted in our hearts, then we must call upon the word of God to wash us and uproot those lies that limit us and limit how we let God have His way in us. This is what takes place as we meditate on the word daily. When we read the Word and pray with God, He washes our hearts and souls and restores us into his truth.
9. The enemy does not want you to receive God’s promised end result in any situation of your life. He attacks us in our thoughts. But WE have the overcoming power in Christ and simply need to speak the name of Jesus.
[2Co 10:5 KJV] 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
C. We live by faith and faith is what pleases God, because He desires to see His good plans for us fulfilled in our lives and when we receive, others receive through us as well.
[Heb 10:38 KJV] 38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if [any man] draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
[Heb 11:6 KJV] 6 But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
1. We can teach what we know, but we can only produce what we are.
Example: I know some Spanish so I can teach some Spanish, but if I have a baby, it will be caucasion because I am not Spanish.
2. God calls us to be fruitful and multiply. We can only produce and reproduce based on who we ARE not based on what we know.
3. The word of God tells us who we are.
[Pro 23:7 KJV] 7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so [is] he:
D. God is attempting to plant seeds of substance in our heart every time the word is preached. It is up to us to open our hearts and allow His seeds to get in and to look after the soil of our heart by washing it with the Word, removing the weeds and lies of the enemy that would try to steal life from us.
[Jas 1:1-7 NIV]. 2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.
Father, I thank you that your word never turns up void. I thank you that your word is all-powerful. I thank you that you are faithful to your promises and to your people even when we are faithless! (2 Tim 2:13) I pray each one who reads this post is greatly encouraged in you, strengthened in your love and in the power of your word at work in their hearts. I pray your hope for our lives fills our hearts and that we are flooded with your seeds of substance. I pray your faith works in us and through us at all times even as as we are growing faith in our own hearts. We rest our faith in you and you alone and give thanks for your unconditional love and grace and favor that abounds towards us. In Jesus Name, we pray and receive! Amen.