“Your feet will never take you where your mind has never been.”
— Bill Winston
Thought: sometimes we spend too much time in activity…thinking if we just keep moving we’ll get to our desired destination, but the truth is that we’ll just keep walking into all the same places we’ve already been. If we’re desiring a different result in an area of our life, or to go into new territory, then we’re going to have to first start thinking differently and seeing ourselves already there in our mind’s eye. Take time to vision…
Here are some notes from a Prayer School teaching a few years ago relating to the power of the subconscious mind and how it affects our prayer life.
I. WHEN YOU PRAY, THE SUBCONSCIOUS MIND OF THE SOUL CANNOT DISTINGUISH BETWEEN THE ACTUAL POSSESSION OF ABUNDANCE AND SUCCESS OR YOUR MERE VISUALIZATION (the eye of faith).
Your subconscious will find ways to make things a reality before you see it. The key is the subconscious has to agree with it before it can be activated inside of us.
Proverbs 23:7 (NKJV) For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.
A. What is the subconscious really? What does it do?
1. Your subconscious mind is your ultimate video, voice, and thought recorder. From this lifetime and even in the womb, your subconscious mind has recorded everything that you’ve seen, heard, thought or experienced.
2. To this point, scientists have been unable to explain what the approximately 90% of your brain that you don’t use does? The subconscious mind exists within that 90% majority.
3. The word subconscious is easily broken down. Sub means below and conscious means awareness, so subconscious simply means that which is below your awareness or, what you are not aware of.
a. Are you aware of your heartbeat every second of every day? What about your breathing? How many times have you blinked your eyes today? Do you consciously digest your food? Most of us do not even chew our food consciously. This is a subconscious action.
b. Have you ever been driving on the highway and got so lost in your thoughts or listening to music that you couldn’t even remember the last exit sign, how fast you were driving, or the fact that other drivers were around you? That is because your mind was consciously thinking or listening to music and that all or most of its energy was focused on the music and you were subconsciously driving.
c. This means you were driving solely by your mind’s retention and execution of the ability to maneuver a vehicle. This is why young people are told to “pay attention to the road.” Cliches are also a form of subconscious mind programming.
d. We use the automatic functions of our subconscious mind on a daily basis. Mundane routines such as brushing your teeth, combing or brushing your hair, chewing gum, folding clothes, mowing the lawn, cleaning windows, washing dishes, vacuuming….I think you get the point. Any activity that you have done repeatedly is planted prominently in your subconscious mind. It is not by chance that repetition is one of the best ways to program the subconscious mind. Ever wondered why you see the same commercials over and over?
4. Your subconscious mind is programmed by you, your family and friends, society and everything else outside of you. Your subconscious mind does not discern between what is true or false. Your conscious, or rational and reasoning mind does that. The subconscious accepts everything. That’s why it’s critical that you filter what is embedded in it.
We live in the information age and what you are aware of is vital in navigating this physical reality. It’s all about being aware of the unaware. Or conscious of the subconscious. You are the center and gatekeeper of your subconscious mind and heart if-you-will. Everything is a perspective of your mentality or consciousness. You can program yourself for happiness and success or let everything outside of you program your mind with fear and thoughts of failure. Thoughts become things. The choice lies within you.
5. For the sake of simplicity, let just say it’s the super computer in your brain that takes care of everything you are too busy to consciously do. (Know that it’s actually much more than that…)
a. When you first learn to walk, you do so consciously. As you get used to it, you can walk while thinking about other things. You don’t have to focus on the act of walking anymore. Your subconscious mind is doing it for you. Same for millions other things. It takes care of most of the daily routines, leaving only a few things for your conscious mind to worry about.
b. Our habits and inner wiring are constantly being developed and reinforced. Through practices and other means of external inputs, information is installed into the subconscious, and later it will resurface as we need it.
c. Our subconscious mind has other functions as well. One of its big functions is to make our imagination come true. For example, if you focus on a direction when you drive, you tend to drift toward that direction. If you focus on not to imagine a big yellow chicken, you will form that image in your mind right now. If it’s your favorite food, soon you will form a powerful desire to eat it.
d. The subconscious also guards our belief. Most people make true of what they love, rather than to love what is true. How do they do it? By blocking out any evidence that contradicts their belief. We all have met someone who put words into our mouth, who accused us of saying something we didn’t say, or ignored what we did say. In their reality, they are right, because their subconscious mind blocks out what they don’t want to see and hear, but create something they want to see and hear.
e. If we control our subconscious mind, we control our long term behavior, emotional circuits, and habits. We can even increase our IQ, improve creativity, and other skills. Teachers and tutors will tell you most kids are extremely smart, but they are conditioned to get stuck at the current grade. When you believe you are stupid, you will subconsciously seek ways to dump yourself down.
f. If you believe you will fail at something, you will subconsciously produce actions that sabotage yourself. This process is so sophisticated that most people who are doing it to themselves don’t notice it at all.
g. On the other hand, if you believe something is possible to achieve, your subconscious mind will nudge you toward people and resources that help your cause. It will constantly seek ways to enable you to achieve it. Again, the process is so subtle and sophisticated that you won’t notice it most of the time.
h. If our subconscious is carelessly guarded, it will absorb information we don’t want it to absorb. The power of suggestion is very strong, and everywhere we go, we are bombarded by messages that other people try to install into our minds. Our environment is collectively designed by many different interest groups to manipulate our consumption behaviors, our belief, our tax dollars, and the media we are exposed to is filled with embedded suggestions and commands.
Proverbs 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
B. The subconscious is the power plant –wherever you put the most energy on something – in time, thought, emotion, etc. those things are being reinforced within your subconscious over and over again habitually and it recognizes them as most important. EMOTIONS are the key!!! They are what activate the subconscious…when your thoughts are tied to emotions, the subconscious deems those thoughts as what are most real – it does not judge what is right or wrong, good or bad, just what is most real. It believes what you tell it and when you tell it a thought and tie an emotion to it, it not only stores that information but begins to recreate it and attract it to you over and over every time you think about that thought or subject matter. We not only need to change our thoughts, but the negative emotions tied to them in order to change our subconscious.
1. Example – money – thoughts and emotions tied to money – how does the subject make you feel and what thoughts and emotions has your subconscious been recording? Again, it doesn’t judge, it just continues to reinforce and recreate what you tell it on a regular basis.
2. How do you feel about yourself?
3. How to you see your life?
4. How do you see yourself in the area of fulfilling destiny? Dreams?
What emotions are tied to these things and what information has your subconscious been recording? If it were to replay, what would you hear yourself say? What would you experience yourself feeling again?
C. The abundance is a reality. (We choose our reality. We choose life or death in our thoughts, emotions and actions – spirit is life, choose life – choose to believe the Word!)
D. We need help from the Holy Spirit to choose the reality that God has for us. We can make these declarations over ourselves:
1. I am led by the Spirit of God. Romans 8:14
2. The Holy Spirit will guide me into all truth! John 16:13
3. The Holy Spirit reveals God’s will to me. Luke 2:26
4. The Holy Spirit teaches meat all times what I should say. Luke 12:12
5. What my eyes have not seen, my ears have not heard, nor my mind conceived – what God has prepared for me who loves Him – these things God has revealed to me and continues to reveal to me by His Spirit! (1 Corinthians 2:9-11)
6. I do not fix my eyes on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:18)
Hebrews 11:3 (NIV)
By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
• In your home
• In your life
• In your job
• In your ministry
God’s faith in me is being sure of what I hope for and certain of what I don’t see.
Mark 9:23 (NIV)
“If you can?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for him who believes.”
Smith Wigglesworth: “Fear looks; faith jumps. Faith never fails to obtain its object.”
E. All of a sudden the subconscious grabs the Word of God, changing images planted within us, bringing us into agreement with God’s Word, because it hears, “WE WON!!” When we get the emotions on it, we win! The subconscious is like a basement – it hears everything but it doesn’t see anything, so when you praise, the subconscious says, “Oh, we must have won!” It will perform what it was called to do, but only when emotions are tied to it!!
Ephesians 3:20 (NIV)
Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us.
F. God uses everything to make you prosperous in the kingdom!
Your soul will come into agreement with your spirit man, which is in agreement with God’s word. Resurrection power from the Word goes forth to perform the work on your behalf as you believe.
Ephesians 1:19-21 (NIV)
…and His incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of His mighty strength, 20 which He exerted in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly realms, 21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.
Mark 11:23 23 “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them.
This applies to moving mountains in our subconscious! Use the name of Jesus which is all powerful to remove blockades of unforgiveness, poverty images, selfish ambitions, whatever needs to be removed out of your heart and mind!
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.
Your subconscious mind will automatically seek ways of making you feel and think the reality of what you are meditating on regularly and cause it to be made visible to the natural eye. (That is how faith works.)
MARK 11:23 (NIV)
23 “I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart (SUBCONSCIOUS) but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
It’s so important to wash our subconscious mind with the Word of God. Remove opposition there: our experiences, past failures, our track record, what others have said, past hurts . . . anything that is not in line with the Word has to go!
Ask God for help! Draw strength from him! Don’t try to do it on your own. Instead, invite the Holy Spirit to help you be a good gatekeeper for your heart and mind and to cleanse any junk that needs to be cleansed out of your subconscious. He will lead you little by little and as HE does the leading, you are also empowered with victory at the same time.
Hebrews 11:1 (NIV)
1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
When we receive an image in our heart that matches the will of God for our lives (based on his Word) and we have emotions attached to it, and a genuine, real experience, the result will be that we start attracting it to ourself (like a magnet attracts metal) and angels will bring it about.
1. Pick a day (at least 24 hours) of looking for the good in your life – LOOK for it. Think on those things you notice, write them down, speak them – zone into all the GOOD about yourself, your life and the people around you!!
2. Choose an area of your life you recognize your subconscious needs some help in reprogramming. Call upon the Holy Spirit to help you. Declare in agreement with John 16:13 that the Holy Spirit leads you into all truth. When you receive the truth, you are set free from the lies in your subconscious — things like “I’m not good enough” “I can never forgive that person” “I will always be poor” “This sickness will never go away.” Look in the mirror as you confess what God’s word says in these areas instead. Look yourself in the eye as you speak the truth from the bible – take notice of your thoughts and emotions in an honest way. What goes through your mind as you speak those scriptures? How do you feel? Do you look away? Whenever you hear a thought contrary rise up in you or notice a subtle contrary emotion, take it to The Holy Spirit and see yourself giving it to Jesus on the cross, not allowing what he already overcame to live in you any longer. Then receive an exchange from Him that will take place of that negative thought. As you cast up the negative and see it leaving your heart and mind and soul, see the truth going in now and taking it’s place.